Back to All Events

Stand Up For The Cure, Muskegon

  • Harbor Towne Beach Muskegon, MI (map)

Dear friends,

Standup for the Cure forwards 100% of the donations and proceeds from each Standup event to the local Affiliate of Susan G Komen. The event is primarily run by volunteers and ‘Gift in Kind’ donations.

25% of all funds received by Komen go towards ground-breaking, international breast cancer research. Komen is the largest, non-government funder of breast cancer research in the world. The remaining 75% of all funds donated are returned to the local community through Komen’s local affiliate in the form of grants to clinics for breast health services for local uninsured and under-insured women.

The recipients of the Komen community grants are selected by a strict process: RFP’s are submitted by local clinics to the Komen Affiliate for grants to be able to offer breast health services to under-insured or uninsured women.   These grant applications are carefully reviewed by the Komen Affiliate’s Grant Review Committee and if approved and granted, their performance is carefully monitored all year to ensure proper use of those funds per their RFP commitments.  

Large grants are awarded each year by the local affiliates.  Most affiliates grant based on a fiscal year that starts in April.  You can read more about each year’s grants on the Komen affiliate websites or contact them directly to learn more.   

On average, a donation of $125 covers the cost of a mammogram, but there are also many other ways the Komen Affiliates help women undergoing treatment such as helping them with hats, wigs and scarves while undergoing chemotherapy, covering insurance deductibles on diagnostics, outreach education programs to encourage early detection and support groups.

As a breast cancer survivor myself, I feel that this is the most effective use of our funds raised and am committed to the fight against breast cancer for all of us, since 1 in 8 are diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.  

I have served on Komen Orange County’s Grant Review Committee and also on their Board of Directors so that I can be absolutely sure of how and where our donation funds are spent in that area.  This experience has convinced me that Komen’s model overall is well-monitored and extremely effective at handling community breast health issues.  I believe that together we can save lives!

Sincerely,

Judie Vivian
Co-Founder Standup for the Cure