Board Repairs

This is one of the board repairs we had going this summer.  This one was quite difficult as the board was used in the water numerous times after the hull was damaged and let water in, please do not do this if you can avoid it.

You can see the side fin was broken out of the board.  We pulled the fin out and then had to let this board dry for 3 weeks before we could do any work.  We added a drying wick to the board to help draw the extra moisture out of the board.

 Board drying in the sun.

Board drying in the sun.

 Marked out for cutting an even line for resetting the fin box.

Marked out for cutting an even line for resetting the fin box.

 Clean even lines cut out of the epoxy.

Clean even lines cut out of the epoxy.

 Tapped off and filled with two part marine foam.

Tapped off and filled with two part marine foam.

 We filled another crack in the whole with the marine foam as well while we were at it.

We filled another crack in the whole with the marine foam as well while we were at it.

 Hole filled with foam and cut out to accept the fin box once again.

Hole filled with foam and cut out to accept the fin box once again.

 Fin box placed and taped off for fill with faring compound.

Fin box placed and taped off for fill with faring compound.

 We attempted to polish off these spots.  Unfortunately they were under the epoxy coat and were the result of the interior of the board getting wet.  As the water vaporized inside of the board it had seeped through the glass and epoxy under the hot coat.  To remove this the entire hot coat would have to be sanded off and glassed again.  Unfortunately this still would not solve the problem and would be cost prohibitive when compared to the value of the board.       Fortunately the board is back in the water and functioning well.  I do not have the rest of the pictures as my phone died in the middle of documenting this fix.

We attempted to polish off these spots.  Unfortunately they were under the epoxy coat and were the result of the interior of the board getting wet.  As the water vaporized inside of the board it had seeped through the glass and epoxy under the hot coat.  To remove this the entire hot coat would have to be sanded off and glassed again.  Unfortunately this still would not solve the problem and would be cost prohibitive when compared to the value of the board.  

 

Fortunately the board is back in the water and functioning well.  I do not have the rest of the pictures as my phone died in the middle of documenting this fix.


Posted on September 20, 2015 .